My first gig ever was at The Railway club, some eight (nine?) years ago. I’d never played at an open mic or even for friends for that matter – few of them knew I was even writing songs – and Murray Atkinson (my guitar teacher at the time who also recorded my first demos) invited me to play an opening set for his band. There’s video of it around here somewhere that I have never watched but I remember it well. My knees were water beneath me and most of my will went to fighting the nerves that shook my whole body. I was a wreck. (more…)
Twitter is amazing. We know this. How quickly word travels, or rather how quickly 140 characters do. But I’m going to elaborate here on my tweets from last night. (more…)
(as sent to the Christa Couture mailing list Feb/3/09):
As this is my first missive of 2009, I must begin with a heartfelt exclamation of Happy New Year! What’s left of it anyway. And as for this note, it shall be brief, thus:
1) Gigs: Performance at the Chan Centre
2) Do you tweet?
3) the CAMAS in case I didn’t tell you already
4) In conclusion
1) Gigs. There’s just the one coming up – I’m taking time off from les gigs for the next wee while. I hope to be at some summer festivals and will let you know when we’re closer to those sunnier days! But for now, I’ve this one fantastic show coming up:
Sunday February 15th, 8pm
The Chan Centre for Performing Arts
at UBC, Vancouver (BC people, have you been to this place? It’s outstanding. Most recently I saw Ani DiFranco there, and before that a solo performance by Philip Glass. It’s SUCH a beautiful room and I’m ecstatic to be making music in it).Tickets $16-22 from Ticketmaster.Â 604.280.3311 orÂ http://www.ticketmaster.ca
I’ll be joined by 5 piece version of my band (huzzah!) and we’re opening up for Lynn Manning‘s incredible one man show “Weights”.Â The night is presented by Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad, KicksART Festival and The Chan Centre for Performing Arts.
2) are you on Twitter? If so, you can now follow me and I you! http://twitter.com/christacouture
3) In November, I was honoured to receive BEST FOLK ACOUSTIC ALBUM from the Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards. It was a fantastic event. The gala, at which I performed (as did Tanya Tagaq (swoon!) and Buffy Sainte Marie (double swoon!) ) will be broadcast on CityTV sometime this year. I’ll keep you posted.
4) Though I haven’t been on stage often this past couple months, they have been a busy time. A winter hibernation time of writing new material and dreaming up new projects. I hope these months have kept you cosy too and I hope also to see/hear/read you all soon.